with Master Teacher Nicky Knoff
Level 2 – Chair Yoga – 2015
FRIDAY 10TH JULY 2015: 6 – 8 pm
SATURDAY 11TH JULY 2015: 12 – 4 pm
SUNDAY 12TH JULY 2015: 12 – 4 pm
The Yoga School
Suite 14, 159 – 161 Pease St (Piccones Shopping Village), Manoora, CAIRNS
P.O. Box 975, Edge Hill 4870 QLD
James E. Bryan E.R.Y.T. 500 – Knoff Yoga
Mobile 0415 362 534
“A teacher affects eternity, he can never tell, where his influence stops.”
Henry B. Adams
WHAT IS CHAIR YOGA?
Chair Yoga is a modified form of Hatha Yoga, which allows students with disabilities, lack of mobility, balance problems, joint challenges, recovering from illness, accidents and operations, or other physical issues to participate in and enjoy the benefits of a yoga practice.
Chair Yoga is aimed at the reduced physical capabilities of a significant portion of the population – aged or otherwise.
WHAT IS TAUGHT IN A CHAIR YOGA CLASSS?
Chair Yoga is an intelligent and dynamic approach to Hatha Yoga incorporating a synergistic mix of 5 traditional elements:
- Centering: non-religious meditation
- Breath Work: yogic full breath and ujjayi pranayama
- Postures: anatomically aligned and structurally balanced – with the aid of a chair
- Relaxation: savasana with legs supported
- Yoga Philosophy: positive, uplifting and life affirming
These 5 traditional elements are taught in the Knoff Yoga class system percentages to ensure a comprehensive and balanced program:
- Centering 5%
- Breath Work 12%
- Postures 66%
- Relaxation 12%
- Philosophy 5%
The difference is that in a Chair Yoga class, a chair is used either exclusively to support the student (Level 1) or as a balance aid (Level 2) for more physically capable students.
The two Levels of Chair Yoga use the same logical Knoff Yoga asana sequencing:
- Sun Salutations
- Standing Poses
- Arm Balancings
- Forward Bends
- Sitting Poses
- Inverted Poses (cooling)
It is quite amazing how much can be accomplished using a chair!
Chair Yoga highlights:
- Individuality of every student
- Step-by-step progression
- Adjusting for body proportions
- Right and left weeks to ensure symmetry of body, breath and mind
- Education as well as exercise
JOIN US FOR CHAIR YOGA TEACHER TRAINING
Do you want to learn the skills and develop your confidence to teach yoga to physically challenged adults with Australia’s only Chair Yoga Training Course? Then sign up now for our intensive Workshop where you will learn all you need to get started.
Our training emphasis is on creating a yoga practice for physically challenged adults that is gentle and safe, but also anatomically correct and prepares them to enter a normal yoga class if they so wish.
The Course is open to yoga teachers, carers, health workers, teachers or anyone interested in sharing yoga. No pre-requisites required!
OPPORTUNITIES FOR TEACHING
With the ‘Baby Boomers’ now entering retirement en mass, this is a great time to learn special skills to teach an aging population. The need for Chair Yoga Teachers will be huge and is just starting now!
In the USA:
- Seniors (50+) are the fastest growing market today, now comprising almost 40% of the U.S. adult population.
- Seniors control over 70% of all disposable income with $2 trillion in spending power and more than $1 trillion of that spent on goods and services.
- Seniors spend more on health and personal care than any other age group.
For many, the word ‘fall’ evokes images of turning leaves, crisp apples, pumpkin flavored lattes and scary goblins. For others, the word ‘fall’ evokes morbid fear. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that one of every three adults older than 65 years will fall each year and in that demographic, falls are the leading cause of injury and death. Even if it does not lead to injury, a fall can lead the victim to fear he/she will fall again. This fear in turn causes him/her to limit activities, which leads to reduced mobility and loss of physical fitness, and in turn increases the actual risk of falling. A classic vicious cycle.
Enter Yoga. According to a recent National Institutes of Health study, yoga is a promising intervention to manage fear of falling and improve balance, thereby reducing fall risk for older adults. Yoga also has one of the lowest barriers to entry of any exercise that improves balance.
As a yoga instructor, just think of the enormous difference you could make teaching seniors whose lives are currently limited by fear!
- Total Cost $390
- Deposit of $100 is required to book your place.
- Receive a 10% early-bird discount if the full fee of $351 is paid six weeks before the course, by 29 May 2015.
- Fees must be paid in full 30 days before the course, by 10 June 2015, unless other arrangements are made.
- Refer to our Payment and Refund Policy
- We supply all equipment, belts, blocks and any other props necessary.
- Teacher Training Workbook
- Chair Yoga Manual
- Certificate of Course Attendance
- Listing on Knoff Yoga website ‘Certificated Teachers’ (if you already have appropriate teacher qualifications)
|6:00 – 6:15 pm||Welcome and Introductions|
|6:15 – 6:30 pm||Hand out Manuals and discuss format for Course|
|6:30 – 8:00 pm||Chair Yoga – Level 1 Class|
|12:00 – 1:30 pm||Chair Yoga – Level 2 Class|
|1:30 – 2:00 pm||Tea Break|
|2:00 – 3:30 pm||Teaching Methodology (Level 1) *|
|3:30 – 4:00 pm||Questions & Answers|
|12:00 – 1:15 pm||Chair Yoga class (with volunteer students)
|1:15 – 1:45 pm||Modifying Postures to individual student needs|
|1:45 – 2:15 pm||Tea Break|
|2:15 – 3:45 pm||Teaching Methodology (Level 2) **|
|3:45 – 4:00 pm||Graduation Ceremony & Certificates|
* Teaching Methodology
1. Structuring and managing a class.
• Meditation/Centering: Anapana – breath focused awareness for calming and centering the mind.
- Yogic Full Breath: Abdominal, Thoracic & Clavicular breathing.
- Level 1: 2 x Sun Salutations & 20 x Postures.
- Savasana/Relaxation: Guided relaxation to help your students learn how to undo knots of tension and balance their nervous system.
** Teaching Methodology
- Yoga in Daily Life: How to bring yoga into daily activities and home life of your students.
- Ujjayi Pranayama: Controlled Expanded Breathing.
- Level 2: 2 x Sun Salutations & 29 x Postures.
- Savasana/Relaxation: Guided relaxation to help our students learn how to undo knots of tension and balance their nervous system.
WHAT IS COVERED IN THE TRAINING?
♦ Tailoring yoga to different physical capabilities
You will learn how to modify traditional yoga poses to make them accessible and safe for
different levels of physical capabilities. You will also learn suitable meditation and
pranayama techniques together with the use of positive yoga philosophy.
♦ Yoga Poses (asana)
You will learn two levels of Chair Yoga allowing you to progress your students and keep
them enthusiastic about attending your classes.
- 2 Sun Salutations
- 8 Standing Poses
- 2 Forward Bends
- 5 Sitting Poses
- 2 Abdominals
- 2 Twists
- 1 Back Bend
- 1 Inverted Pose
- 2 Sun Salutations
- 7 Standing Poses
- 3 Arm Balancing
- 3 Forward Bends
- 5 Sitting Poses
- 2 Abdominals
- 2 Twists
- 5 Back Bends
- 1 Inverted Pose
♦ 2 Yoga Breathing Techniques
- Yogic Full Breath (Abdominal, Thoracic & Clavicular breathing)
- Ujjayi Pranayama
- Anapana – breath focused awareness for calming and centering the mind
- Guided relaxation to help your students learn how to undo knots of tension and balance their nervous system
♦ Yoga in Daily Life
- How to bring yoga into daily activities and home life of your students
♦ Structuring and Managing a Class
- Participants will learn class layout, how to keep your students interested through class structuring and tips to keep them focused.
♦ Assisting with a Real Live Chair Yoga Class
- On Sunday afternoon we will run a Chair Yoga Class with physically challenged adults from our local community. You will have the opportunity to assist, take notes and photographs
♦ Teaching Methodology
- You will have ample opportunity to practice teaching Chair Yoga. We will initially work one-on-one and then with the entire group.
The Level 2 – Chair Yoga Teacher Training Course makes up part of the hour requirement for the Knoff Yoga, Yoga Alliance 300 hour registration. See Yoga Alliance
Participants can self-assess the suitability of the content of this program to earn Yoga Australia CPD points according to the guidelines published on the Yoga Australia website. See Yoga Alliance
This Course does not qualify you to become a certificated yoga teacher. If you wish to receive a yoga teacher qualification you will need to complete the Knoff Yoga:Level 1 – Discovery and Level 2 – Foundation Level Teacher Training Course for YogaAlliance registration R.Y.T. 200. This Course is intended to show you how to share yoga with a specific part of the population. If you are a qualified yoga teacher only then will you be able to run your own structured Chair Yoga classes for the general public and be listed on the Knoff Yoga website under ‘Certificated Teachers’.